IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
Click on image to enlarge.
- Names of nominated candidates will be published to PEO’s website as soon as their nomination is verified.
- Names of all nominated candidates will be forwarded to members of Council, chapter chairs and committee chairs, and published on PEO’s website, by December 3, 2018.
- Candidates will have complete control over the content of all their campaign material, including material for publication in Engineering Dimensions, on PEO’s website, and on their own websites. Candidate material is readily available to the public and should be in keeping with the dignity of the profession at all times. Material will be published with a disclaimer. The chief elections officer may seek a legal opinion prior to publishing/posting of any material if the chief elections officer believes campaign material could be deemed libelous. The chief elections officer has the authority to reject the campaign material if so advised by legal counsel.
- Candidate material may contain personal endorsements provided there is a clear disclaimer indicating that the endorsements are personal and do not reflect or represent the endorsement of PEO Council, a PEO chapter or committee, or any organization with which an individual providing an endorsement is affiliated.
- Candidates have the option of using one of two templates to present their election material in Engineering Dimensions. Both templates are included in Schedule A of these procedures. Option 1: Candidates using the blank template will have discretion over the presentation of their material, including but not limited to, font style, size and effects. The size of the blank template is the equivalent of one-half page, including border, in Engineering Dimensions (6.531 inches wide x 4.125 inches in height). If candidate submissions do not include a border, one will be added, as shown on the template. If submissions exceed the bordered one-half page, they will be mechanically reduced to fit within the border. Option 2: Candidates using the fillable template must provide responses to the questions provided in the allotted space. The presentation of the fillable template is fixed and no modifications will be permitted. The fillable template is the same size as the blank template (6.531 inches wide x 4.125 inches in height).
- Candidates using the blank template will be permitted to include their portrait within the template. Candidates using the fillable template must submit their portrait separately for insertion into the designated location by PEO staff. Only portraits taken within the last five years will be accepted for inclusion in either template.
- All material for publishing on PEO’s website and in Engineering Dimensions must be submitted to the chief elections officer at email@example.com in accordance with Schedule A attached. Candidates shall not use the PEO logo in their election material.
- Candidates’ material for publication in Engineering Dimensions and on the website, including URLs to candidates’ own websites, must be forwarded to the chief elections officer at the association’s offices or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than December 10, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. and in accordance with Schedule A attached. Candidate material will be considered confidential, and will be restricted to staff members required to arrange for publication, until published on PEO’s website. All candidates’ material will be published to PEO’s website at the same time. In the event of a dispute as to when the forms were sent vs received, a candidate can provide the chief elections officer with a copy of his/her email to PEO that would indicate the time the nomination forms were sent from his/her computer. A nomination once withdrawn, may not be re-instated.
- If campaign material is submitted by a candidate without identifying information, PEO staff are authorized to contact the candidate and ask if he/she wishes to resubmit material. If campaign material is received by the chief elections officer and returned to the candidate for amendment to comply with the Election Publicity Procedures, and the amended material is not returned within the prescribed time, staff will publish the material with a notation explaining any necessary amendments by staff.
- Candidate publicity material will be published as a separate insert in the January/February 2019 issue of Engineering Dimensions and to PEO’s website in January 2019 and included in any hardcopy mailing to eligible voters with voting instructions. Links to candidate material on PEO’s website will be included in any electronic mailing to eligible voters.
- Candidates may publish additional information on PEO’s website, provided they email their material to the chief elections officer in the format set out in Schedule A. This material must be received by the chief elections officer no later than December 10, 2018.
- Candidates may submit updates to their material on PEO’s website once during the posting period. Any amendments to a candidate’s name/designations are to be considered part of the one-time update permitted to their material during the posting period. Candidates may include links to PEO publications, but not a URL link to a third party, in their material on PEO’s website. Links to PEO publications are not considered to be to a third party. For clarity, besides links to PEO publications, the only URL link that may be included in a candidate’s material on PEO’s website is a URL link to the candidate’s own website.
- Candidates may post more comprehensive material on their own websites, which will be linked from PEO’s website during the posting period. Candidates may include active links to their social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) in material appearing in Engineering Dimensions, published on PEO’s election site (i.e. the 1000-word additional information candidates may submit), or included in an eblast of candidate material.
- PEO will provide three group email distributions to members of candidate publicity material beyond the material published in Engineering Dimensions. Material to be included in an eblast must be submitted to the chief elections officer at email@example.com in accordance with Schedule A. In the event of a dispute as to when the forms were sent vs received, they will be accepted only if a candidate can provide the chief elections officer with a copy of his/her email to PEO sent from his/her computer indicating a sent time before the deadline
- All material for the eblast messages must be submitted in a Word document only and must not be included as part of the message in the transmission email. Where the email message is received with a font size or style that is different from the specifications but otherwise meets all the requirements, the chief elections officer may authorize staff to change only the size and font of the material so it conforms to specifications. Staff are prohibited from amending material in any way except with the written permission of the candidate.
- Candidates are responsible for responding to replies or questions generated by their email message.
- The chief elections officer is responsible for ensuring that all candidate material (whether for Engineering Dimensions, PEO’s website or eblasts) complies with these procedures. Where it is deemed the material does not satisfy these procedures, the chief elections officer will, within three full business days from receipt of the material by the association, notify the candidate or an appointed alternate, who is expected to be available during this period by telephone or email. The candidate or appointed alternate will have a further three full business days to advise the chief elections officer of the amendment. Candidates are responsible for meeting this deadline. Should a candidate fail to re-submit material within the three-business-day period, the candidate’s material will be published with a notation explaining any necessary amendments by staff.
- PEO will provide candidates the opportunity to participate in All Candidates Meetings, which will be held at PEO offices during the week of January 7, 2019. The All Candidates Meetings will be video recorded for posting on PEO’s website. On the day of the first All Candidates Meeting, an eblast will be sent to members announcing that these video recordings will be posted on the PEO website within two business days.
- Caution is to be exercised in determining the content of issues of membership publications published during the voting period, including chapter newsletters. Editors are to ensure that no candidate is given additional publicity or opportunities to express viewpoints in issues of membership publications distributed during the voting period from January 18, 2019 until the close of voting on February 22, 2019 beyond his/her candidate material published in the January/February issue of Engineering Dimensions, and on the PEO website. This includes photos (with or without captions), references to, or quotes or commentary by, candidates in articles, letters to the editor, and opinion pieces. PEO’s communications vehicles should be, and should be seen to be, nonpartisan. The above does not prevent a PEO publication from including photos of candidates taken during normal PEO activities, e.g. licensing ceremonies, school activities, GLP events, etc., provided there is no expression of viewpoints. For greater clarity, no election-specific or election-related articles, including Letters to the Editor and President’s Message, are to be included in Engineering Dimensions during the voting period. Engineering Dimensions or other PEO publications may contain articles on why voting is important.
- Chapters may not endorse candidates, or expressly not endorse candidates, in print, on their websites or through their list servers, or at their membership meetings or activities during the voting period. Where published material does not comply with these procedures, the chief elections officer will cause the offending material to be removed if agreement cannot be reached with the chapter within the time available.
- Councillors may use their positions to encourage candidates to stand for PEO office and members to participate in the election process, but may not endorse candidates for PEO election.
- Candidates may attend chapter annual general meetings and network during the informal portion of the meeting. Candidates are permitted to attend chapter functions in their current official capacity but are prohibited from campaigningwhile operating in their official capacity.
- The Central Election and Search Committee is authorized to interpret the voting and election publicity guidelines and procedures, and to rule on candidates’ questions and concerns relating to them.
These Election Publicity Procedures form part of the Voting Procedures.
SCHEDULE A: 2019 ELECTION PUBLICITY PROCEDURES
SPECIFICATIONS FOR CANDIDATE MATERIALS
PUBLICATION FORMAT (CANDIDATE STATEMENTS IN ENGINEERING DIMENSIONS AND PEO WEBSITE)
Option 1: Blank template
Candidates using the blank template to present their material for publication in Engineering Dimensions must ensure the content fits in the bordered template provided at the end of the these specifications. The template dimensions are 6.531 inches wide and 4.125 inches in height. All submissions will be published with a border. If submissions are received without a border, one will be added as shown on the template. If submissions do not fit within the template, they will be mechanically reduced to fit.
All material for publication must be submitted as a PDF document with images in place for reference, and as a formatted Word file, or in a Word-compatible file, showing where portraits are to be placed. Portraits must also be submitted as specified below.
Candidates shall not use the PEO logo in their election material.
The publications staff needs both a PDF file and Word file of candidate material. This allows them to know how candidates intend their material to look. If there are no difficulties with the material, the PDF file will be used. The Word file is required in case something isn’t correct with the submission (just a bit off on measurement, for example), as it will enable publications staff to fix the problem. A hard and/or digital copy of a candidate’s portrait is required for the same reason and for use on the PEO election website.
Option 2: Fillable template
Candidates using the fillable template must provide responses to the questions provided in the allotted space. The completed template must be submitted as a PDF document.
Portraits must be submitted separately, as specified in the portraits section below, and will be added to the template by PEO staff.
The presentation of the fillable template is fixed and no modifications will be permitted.
The template dimensions are 6.531 inches wide and 4.125 inches in height.
The profile template will be available on PEO’s elections website, www.peovote.ca.
Note: Candidate material may contain personal endorsements provided there is a clear
disclaimer indicating that the endorsements are personal and do not reflect or represent the endorsement of PEO Council, a PEO chapter or committee, or any organization with which and individual providing an endorsement is affiliated.
A hard and/or digital copy of a candidate’s portrait is also required for use on the PEO elections website.
Photographs must be at least 5″ x 7″ in size if submitted in hard copy form so that they are suitable for scanning (“snapshots” or passport photographs are not suitable).
Only pictures taken in the last five years will be accepted.
If submitted in digital form, they must be JPEG-format files of at least 300 KB but no more than 2MB.
Candidates can submit a digital photo at the specifications noted, or hard copy as noted, and preferably both. In case the digital file is corrupted or not saved at a sufficiently high resolution, publications staff can rescan the photo (hard copy) to ensure it prints correctly, as indicated on the PDF.
PEO WEBSITE (CANDIDATES’ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION)
Candidates may publish additional information on PEO’s website by submitting a Word or Word-compatible file of no more than 1000 words, and no more than three non-animated graphics in JPEG or GIF format. Graphics may not contain embedded material.
Candidates may post additional material on their own websites, which will be linked from PEO’s website. URLs for candidates’ websites must be active by December 10, 2018.
Candidates may include links to PEO publications but not a URL link to a third party in their material that is to be posted on PEO’s website. Links to PEO publications are not considered to be to a third party. For clarity, the only URL link that may be included in a candidate’s material on PEO’s website is the URL to the candidate’s own website. Candidates may include active links to their social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.). [Update based on Issues Report item 13]
DEADLINE FOR ENGINEERING DIMENSIONS AND WEBSITE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION SUBMISSIONS
Candidates’ material for publication in Engineering Dimensions and on PEO’s website must be forwarded to the chief elections officer at (firstname.lastname@example.org) by December 10, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
Candidates are permitted a maximum of 300 words for email messages. Messages are to be provided in 11 pt. Arial font; graphics are not permitted. For clarity, a “graphic” is an image that is either drawn or captured by a camera.
DEADLINE EBLASTS TO MEMBERS
Candidates’ material for eblasts to members must be forwarded to the chief elections officer at (email@example.com):
By January 14—for eblast on January 21
By January 28—for eblast on February 4
By February 11—for eblast on February 19
Candidates should contact the chief elections officer (firstname.lastname@example.org) if they have questions about requirements for publicity materials.